Wednesday, March 11, 2009

There's a question...

that I find that I am always asking myself. You wanna know what it is....

"Why do I do this to myself...it is NOT worth it!"

Now that you know the question, here is a wonderful story that in the end I was asking myself that very question.

Brooklyn had yet another stomach bug (maybe the flu..I just don't know) this past weekend. She was puking up everything, even water for a good 36 hours. Loads of fun. Patty (Dave's mom) we up to watch Brooklyn, since Dave and I were going to the WVU/L'ville game on Saturday Night. Thankfully, Patty was eager to help clean and didn't care that the house smelled like vomit.

The weekend came and went when Brooklyn finally stopped puking. Unfortunately, the puking was followed by a high fever that wouldn't respond for anything. After, almost 48 hours of 102+ temperature, I decided that I should probably call the doctor just so could tell me that something was going around and to keep an eye on her.

So I called...
Left message for nurse to call me back...
She called me back after awhile...
During the call back she didn't tell me to just wait and see...
She actually freaked out, telling me that a temp 'that high for SO long' was not alright and that the pedi needed to see her...

FINE...I WILL BRING HER IN!

Of course, the next appointment that they had open was 35min later. After I explain to the "pleasant" appointment lady that Brooklyn and I were both still in our PJs and that an appointment 35min later would probably be pushing it for us. She responded with "Mam, WE are trying to help you out...I hope you understand we are all booked up."

WHAT???? I didn't even want to come...

So, I tell her that I will do my best to get there! After running around the house like a crazy women getting dressed, getting Brooklyn dressed, grab the diaper bag, and head out the door. To my surprise, we were actually there at 11:03. WOOT! I did better than I thought.

As soon as we get there, checked in, seated waiting to be called back I hear Brooklyn poo! That's right, I heard her poo. If you are a mom, you know what kind that would be.

Found a bathroom with changing table, changed her and found our seat again to wait. We were called back super fast. The nurse checking Brooklyn's weight, temp, etc was nice and didn't bother Brooklyn too much. She showed us back to the room where we proceeded to wait....and wait...and wait....and wait some more. Well actually waited for 50 minutes (that's right..after I hauled ass to get there, they made us weight 50min before seeing anyone)

While we waited in the 5 x 5 room with a toddler Brooklyn blew out her diaper 2 times and cried for 30 min.

When the doc finally came in, she checked Brooklyn out and told me that it was a bug and to watch her.

That's right....all that to tell me something I already knew. I got in the car and said "Why, do I do this to myself?"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! It is incredibly true and something we all do several times in our lives!
Love,
Shannon

Heidi Ho said...

HEY!!! My friend Jennifer has a little one just a bit older than Brooklyn. He's been in Mon General for 2 days for the SAME thing. Same exact symptoms and everything. (I just read a message from her an hour ago)..so, to this I say...better safe than sorry! She could have been dehydrated or something like that. It still does bug ya though...the whole waiting game thing.

Hope your beautiful sunshiny girl is back to herself in no time!!! Just hate that she feels pukey!!

BTW...funny moment....I read the first line of your post too quickly....There's a question that I find that I am always asking myself. You wanna know what IT is????

I totally put the inflection in the wrong place and thought you had found out the sex of the baby...I'm a dork..and I have baby fever!!!!