Friday, May 9, 2008

Werid Conversation in the Check out line~

Dave, Brooklyn and I went to Lowes this evening to get some last minute supplies for my garden. We were trying to get in and out since it was already 6ish (Brooklyn's nap time) and it was starting the drizzle a bit. So, we got everything that we needed (two whole flatbeds full) and preceded to the checkout.

As we waited in line, (I think everyone in Morgantown had our same idea tonight) everything was going well until a lady came up to make conversation with me.

Here is our conversation~

Lowes Customer Lady (LCL) - Comes from behind me and taps my shoulder. "Is this child your only one?"

***Let me say, that since having Brooklyn people come up to us ALL THE TIME! I have gotten use to it. People are always commenting on her cuteness or that they like what she is wearing.***

Me - Kind of puzzled by the question, but recover and say "She is it for now."

LCL - "Oh, my daughter has 2 little girls and another on the way. They are so cute! She says that she is finished after this one though."

Me - "Oh." At this point I am trying to check to see where Dave is..I can just tell this conversation is going to take a turn for the worse soon.

LCL - "She really is so cute and so happy" Brooklyn smiles at her and she begins to try to touch Brooklyn's hand. As she starts to touch her I begin to move the stroller back a little, hoping the she would get the point.

***here is where the conversation really went down high fast.***

LCL - "Are you done having kids?"

Me - Trying not to look puzzled. "No, I doubt it."

LCL - "How many more do you want to have?"

Me - Looking even more puzzled "I don't know, as many as I can I guess."

LCL - "Do you still work?"

Me - Thinking - OMG...who asks these types of questions to someone at Lowes in the check out lane "No."

LCL - "Oh, good!" (She almost seemed surprised.) "I used to work but now I just babysit my husband."

Me - I look at her husband and smile He looks as freaked out as me.

***The conversation gets even stranger***

LCL - "Is your Mother is on the earth?"

Me - WHAT????? "Yeah."

LCL - "How about your Dad?"

Me - "Yeah."

LCL - "Wow, my husband's parents are both dead"

****How old does she think I am? Her husband was like 55 and I am 28. I think that it would be more strange if they weren't alive.

Me - Just hoping that the conversation is over.

LCL - "Well, good talking to you."

Me - "uh huh!"

Just thought that I would share this...anyone else have unwanted conversations in the checkout line lately?

2 comments:

mom/grammy said...

Brooklyn is thinking hmmm I wonder if he is softer then he looks...yes he is ...and if Mommy hadn't taken him from me I would have gotten a little taste...I almost had him. see you soon

Love ya Grammy :o)

Mary Kathryn said...

YES! Not lately, but when I was 8 months pregnant in Wal-Mart. An older gentleman (AKA "Winter Texan" down here) approached me and did the uninvited belly-touching thing and then went on and on about how I look like I could pop any day, how excited I must be and how a baby is such a gift from God. It was endearing, a little bit, but definitely weird, too. In my head I was like, "Hey, I'm just here for fabric softener, okay??"